{Classic Quilt Blocks} Sawtooth Star - Keep Your Points!

My Classic Quilt Block for August has been the Sawtooth Star and if you didn't already love it, I hope you do now and you're off sewing a gazillion of these pretty little blocks.

I've got another step by step tutorial for you today and this Sawtooth Star block is constructed a little different to the ones I've shared, and the best part is...you can't lose your points!



One thing a lot of quilters struggle with is losing the points from blocks like the Sawtooth Star. It can be discouraging but don't let it stop you. Some of my earlier work has missing points (some of my recent work too, so don't look too closely) but you know, that has never altered the amount of love these quilts have received.

There's a saying - "It's better to create something that others can criticise than to never create and criticise others!" Just keep sewing lovelies, lost points and all!

But if you're really struggling or if you just want to sew without having to worry about the points, then this tutorial is just for you:


This Sawtooth Star block is constructed as a nine patch and there's some simple sew and flip corners to make is super easy and lots of fun! You don't have to worry about points and the only problem you will have is choosing which fabrics to use and how many blocks to sew. :)

This tutorial will yield a 9" square block (finished) and you'll be able to use it for lots of future projects.

Ok, here we go:


From your background fabric cut:

  • 8 x 3 1/2" squares - (A)

From your print fabrics cut:
  •  1 x 3 1/2" square - (B)
  •  8 x 2 1/2" squares - (C)


  • Draw a diagonally line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each of the eight print (C) squares, using either a pen or pencil. This will be your sewing line.


  • Position a print (C) square in the top left hand corner of four of the background (A) squares, right sides together and aligned along the raw edges. Use the photo to ensure correct orientation of the print square.
  • Sew along the drawn lines. Trim the excess fabric from each unit 1/4" from the drawn line and press seams towards the print fabric.


  • Position the four remaining print (C) squares in the top right hand corner of the four units, right sides together and aligned along the raw edges. Use the photo to ensure correct orientation of the print square.
  • Sew along the drawn lines. Trim the excess fabric from each unit 1/4" from the drawn line and press towards the print fabric.



  • It's important that these units remain 3 1/2" square so trim if required.


  • Arrange the four star point units, the four remaining background (A) squares and the print (C) square into three rows of three units. Use the photo to ensure the correct orientation of all units.



  • Sew the units together into the three rows, pressing seams in alternate directions.



  • Sew the three rows together, along the long sides and pressing seams open to complete your Sawtooth Star block which should measure 9 1/2" square.

And that's it! One simple, sweet Sawtooth Star floating in the block with all its points intact and isn't gorgeous? Now all you need to do is decide how many of these blocks you want to sew! ;)

And that's the last of my posts on the gorgeous Sawtooth Star. I hope you've enjoyed this month's Classic Quilt Blocks series. I have another stunning block picked out for next month and I've planned a few different ways to share it with you. I can't wait!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

5 comments

  1. I love sawtooth star blocks. Thanks for your tutorial. The fabrics you've used are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Anorina. I've enjoyed this months post so much! The fabrics are a mix of Amy Simibaldi's gorgeous fabrics - always fun to paly with :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have been searching for on that I could resize to something specific I need, without cutting off my points and yours worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this tutorial! I'm making a quilt from a popular persons site and she never says how to make these sawtooth stars. Now I have found your page I am a fan and will be back. thank you for your clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you have fun sewing some gorgeous blocks :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊