Iris Mini Quilt - PDF Pattern

Every now and then I like to switch things up and add a rainbow style mini quilt to my pattern collection. These quilts are the perfect excuse to pull out our lesser used solid fabrics and create a bright and colourful mini. They are fun to sew and are very dramatic, so please welcome the gorgeous Iris to my pattern family:


In Greek mythology, Iris was the goddess of rainbows and the messenger of the Gods. She was the daughter of Thaumas and Oceanid Electra and she travelled the seas and the sky. At the speed of the wind, she moved from one end of the world to the other, and swooped down to the far depths of the oceans and the underworld.

Iris was the link between the Gods and humanity, and she used the rainbow to carry messages from the Gods in the sky and deliver them to the mortals of the world.

Iris is depicted in mythology as a rainbow or a young maiden with rainbow wings which is said to represent the link between heaven and earth.


Iris is a paper pieced mini quilt pattern finishing at around 14" square. Its constructed in eight wedges and while the paper piecing is quick and easy, the colour order can be a little confusing. I've included lots of diagrams in the PDF pattern to make it as painless as possible, and the FPP templates include shaded colours of the ones I used to help you out.

There's also a colouring sheet included in the pattern so you can plan and label all the colours prior to sewing your Iris mini quilt. This should help keep your colour placement in order as you paper piece your wedges.


Did you know that every rainbow is a full circle but from the ground we can only see the upper half? A full circle rainbow can be seen from a high rise building or an aircraft because it alters our horizon and the sun is able to catch the lower half - cool right?

No matter how old you are, its exciting to see a rainbow. I always run and grab the camera but I never seem to capture this colourful phenomenon in all its glory - a rainbow mini quilt hanging on the sewing room wall is the next best thing. :)


I love working with solids and I don't use them nearly as much as I should. With all the pretty prints out there they tend to get over looked - are you the same?

It's always hard to know how to quilt and what colour thread to use when quilting a solid quilt but I chose a lovely light grey thread for my Iris mini and I think it worked well -   I used a serpentine stitch spaced at 1/2" intervals and its created soft, flowing waves!


The Iris PDF pattern comes complete with step by step instructions and lots of diagrams for ease of construction. There's also optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers to display your quilt on your mini wall.

Iris would also make a gorgeous cushion or table topper and if you make multiples it would create a stunning quilt - alternating blocks with either a black or white background would be clever.


Its such a fun mini quilt to sew and I know you're going to love it.  Its a quick finish so you can sew your own version of Iris over the weekend!

If you would like to sew your own Iris mini quilt, from today until the end of August 2019, PDF patterns are available in my Etsy shop at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) + taxes where applicable. Simply click on the link below to purchase your copy.


I hope you love Iris as much as I do. She's bright, fun, colourful and a very welcome addition to my pattern family.

Don't forget to use the hashtag #irisminiquilt so we can all see your Iris quilts or send me a photo - I love to see what you make using my patterns. Enjoy!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

2 comments

  1. Iris is beautiful. Off to buy the pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ☺ I can't wait to see your Iris quilt. Please share it with me ☺

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊