Bookshelf - September 2019

Hey book buddies! I brought some new books the other day and it made me think back to my first part time job at fifteen and that very first pay packet. We were paid in cash in those days, and I took my little yellow envelope to the book store and spent every cent on books. I came home with a haul of paperbacks wrapped in brown paper and I was the happiest fifteen year old around - dad didn't share my delight and spent the rest of the night talking about the importance of saving a percentage of your wage and budgeting etc. ;)

That independent haul of books introduced me to Sidney Sheldon, Jackie Collins, Virginia Andrews, Stephen King, Danielle Steel, Toni Morrison, Colleen McCulloch and Dean Koontz and what a world it opened up for me. I still feel that same thrill whenever I step into a bookshop and dad still doesn't get it! ;)

I read some great books during September, so here's my thoughts on each of them.



The Fifth Letter - Nicola Moriarty

This book was a chick lit lovers delight. Nicola weaves a wonderful story of four friends with secrets to tell. They've been together since high school, but how well do they really know each other? What secrets do they keep from their family, friends and husbands? Send them away for a girls weekend with a too much alcohol and the truth will slowly emerge, fracturing friendships and changing lives.

Nicola creates characters that are relatable, multi dimensional and so much fun that they'll stay with you forever, including Father O'Reilly who I thought was just amazing! I love Nicola's writing style and this clever story will keep you guessing till the very end.

Four friends write their secrets in four anonymous letters but one of them writes two letters. Who wrote the fifth letter? You'll enjoy finding out :) Five stars!



Three Wishes - Liane Moriarty

Liane is Nicola's sister and in this novel she explores the complicated family dynamics of 33 year old triplets or womb mates. I really enjoyed this funny, honest and thought provoking look into the chaotic lives of these sisters and their unbreakable bond.

There's a cheating husband, painful secrets, pregnancy and miscarriage, panic attacks, step children and old boyfriends, reconciliation after divorce and a vicious attack on an elderly family member, but there's also a warm narrative from the general public which I really enjoyed - it gave the reader a rare and candid glimpse of these women during different phases of their life.

I wouldn't say this was one of my favorite books by this author, but it was entertaining. You'll feel like you've been dragged along for the ride with this loud, chaotic family, and you'll be cheering from the sidelines for them to find happiness and peace. A solid four stars!



Jane Green - Summer Secrets

I loved this book! I brought it on a whim and it surprised me because it was a real gem. Cat is an alcoholic and Jane writes this character with brutal honesty but compassion, and you'll be hoping that she overcomes the demons and finds true happiness.

Cat's life is a trail of destruction from her rollercoaster ride of binges and sobriety, and she's left alone after relationships are destroyed - some way beyond repair. As she goes through the twelve steps, she learns more about herself, the life she has and the life she wants, and when she attempts to make amends it highlights the depth of people's hurt and anger.

I loved Cat! I sooo wanted her to overcome her addiction and be free of it's clutches, happily living the life she so desperately wanted. No spoilers though! You'll have to see for yourself.

This was the first book from Jane Green that I've read, but I'm on the hunt for more. Five stars!



The Devouring Gray - Christine Lynn Herman

This my was favorite book of the month, and I devoured this one quite quickly (pardon the pun)! This had the feel of Riverdale with the breath catching suspense of Stranger Things (both of Netflix). Parts of it had me on the edge of my seat with goosebumps forgetting to breathe, and other parts were so beautifully written you were lost in the story turning page after page.

The town of Four Paths holds many secrets - the least of which is a Beast trapped in the Gray by the towns founding members. The descendants of these four founders are charged with protecting the town from the Beast that hunts them, but are they ready? Can they protect everyone else or become victims themselves?

I loved the characters and the setting felt Riverdale-ish to me, adding a mysterious and haunting feeling of the book. It ended with a cliff hanger and there's a sequel being released next year. YAY! I'd love to see this book turned into a movie - it would be amazing!

Beautiful, thrilling, haunting, suspenseful and very hard to put down. I wish could give it more than five stars!


So that's what I read during September bringing my reading total to 42/50. What did you read last month? I'd love to hear. Let me know in the comments or follow me on Goodreads.

Happy reading :)
email signature

4 comments

  1. You picked some great authors with your first pay. I still read (some of) Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Reading has been one of my passions since I was very young and I'm now in my 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a Dean Koontz in so long Evie. I was just thinking I should try and find my copy of Watcher's or Phantom's and reread - two of my favorites! Reading is so good for the soul, I hope you're reading something wonderful at the moment :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading your book reviews and would like to get the Devouring Gray on audible. I am a big fan of Emilee Richards and just finished One Mountain Away - the first book in her Goddesses series. After reading the first book, I purchased the next three - there are four in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as well Teresa - I loved it! I'll have a look for those books, I'm intrigued and I love a good series. Thanks!

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊