Poinsettia Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

In our family, the Christmas decorating begins on December 1st, but I had a wedding excitement hangover yesterday and it just didn't happen. We spent the day reliving the wedding with the bride and groom, sorting presents and decorations (including a gazillion peonies) and we got to see some of the official photos - beautiful!

I'm decorating today and one of the first pieces to be displayed will be my new monthly mini quilt, the stunning Poinsettia.


If you've been following me for quite a while then you may remember I released Poinsettia back in 2014 ish. It was one of those patterns I loved, but the fabrics I'd used didn't compliment the design and the border I'd added wasn't effective. I retired the pattern not long after which was a little disappointing.

I've always regretted that this mini quilt wasn't out there for you to enjoy, so I decided to give it a makeover, use some prettier fabrics and remove the border. I also increased the size to make Poinsettia a standout quilt on the mini wall, and take two of this design makes me very, very happy.


Poinsettia is a traditionally pieced mini quilt pattern comprising of simple HST's, flying geese and a few squares and rectangles. I haven't released a non-paper pieced mini for quite a while, so it was a fun change for me.

The mini quilt finishes at around 16" square so all units finish at a manageable size and there's no teeny tiny pieces to cut and sew.


I used a selection of Bonnie and Camille prints for this version of Poinsettia and the pattern includes swatches and stock numbers so you can source the same fabrics or similar ones for your own version.

I really wanted the red fabrics to shine in this quilt and combined with the fresh vivid green they give this mini the festive feel I was aiming for. I decided to give the centre a lighter look to create the Poinsettia pistil, and I think it really draws the eye to the cute star.


I chose a gorgeous pink floral binding for my Poinsettia mini and it softens the overall look of the quilt, but the pops of reds tie it all together.  My other option was a red and white pinstripe, but I really loved the floral and decided to be adventurous and just go with it.

The PDF pattern includes a colouring sheet to help you plan your own Poinsettia mini quilt and you can play around with colour/fabrics options prior to sewing.


The Poinsettia PDF pattern also includes full step by step instructions and diagrams for easy construction and there's optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers so you can display your quilt on your mini wall this Christmas.

You can also use the mini quilt as a table topper like I'm going to do or sew it as a cushion front to give your favorite chair that festive feel.


I couldn't be happier with this fresher, brighter and prettier version of Poinsettia. It was fun to revisit an old pattern and give it a modern makeover, and I think it will finally be a permanent member of my pattern family.

If you would like to sew your own version of my Poinsettia mini quilt, from today until the end of December PDF patterns are available in my Etsy shop at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) + taxes where applicable. Simple click on the link to purchase your copy.


I hope you enjoy sewing my Poinsettia mini quilt. It is a fun mini to sew and it looks stunning. Make sure you send me a photo of your finished quilts or use the hashtag #poinsettiaminiquilt so I can pop over for a visit.


Happy quilting :)
email signature

2 comments

  1. Another beautiful block. I just finished another day of cleaning, putting away the old, and then putting out the Christmas décor. I enjoy seeing my Christmas stuff each year, but then it does take awhile to get everything straightened up. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too Teresa! I spent most of yesterday setting up the new tree and the rest of the house, and yes I had a huge mess trying to get everything sorted ;). I love this time of year though :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊