{Classic Quilt Blocks} Bow Tie - An Introduction

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Welcome back to my monthly blog series Classic Quilt Blocks. I had to take a little break last year due to the wedding and Christmas, but the posts are back, and I know you're going to love the first block for 2020 - it's the very popular Bow Tie block.

I'll be celebrating this humble block throughout January, and I'll be sharing as much information and inspiration as I can to make you fall in love, or fall back in love, with the Bow Tie block.


In this first post I'll be looking at the block's history, talking about colour values and block construction and I've found some gorgeous antique quilt inspiration to help you plan your own Bow Tie quilts.

Let's have a closer look at this classic Bow Tie block:

Block History:

The Bow Tie block is a classic example of fashion meeting quilting. I've spoken before about blocks representing everyday items, and this block is a clear representation of a man's bowtie which was a staple accessory in the wardrobe of every fashion-conscious man.

The block dates back to the 1880's and you may also see it referred to as the Colonial Bow Tie, Peekhole or Lover's Knot block. It's a masculine block and would have been used in quilts for men and boys to create a more "manly" pattern. 

The bow tie was considered to be a formal accessory donned by the wealthy, so it's suggested Bow Tie quilts were hung during the Civil War to warn runaway slaves to discard their clothing and change into an attire that depicted them of a higher status, avoiding capture.

Regardless of folk history, the Bow Tie block is a beautiful example of early quilting, and it's a block that is still relevant in today's modern quilting world.


Block Design:

There are several ways to construct a Bow Tie block and next week I'm sharing a super easy step by step tutorial using sew and flip corners - not a Y seams in sight I promise you! I'm also including a chart of cutting requirements for six block sizes, so you can use them in any project.

The Bow Tie block is part of the Four Patch family, and it's drafted using a 2 x 2 grid:


To construct this simple Bow Tie block, you'll need four large squares and two smaller squares, which will be used for the sew and flip corners, and I'll give you all those measurements next week.

I'll also give you tips for sewing a Bow Tie block with a contrasting knot, like the one in the photo below. This version requires two additional smaller squares, so each of the four large squares contain a sew and flip corner. 


Colour Values:

The Bow Tie block is a little fashionista and it looks elegant in whatever colour or fabric combination you choose - from bright, bold modern fabrics to subtle plaids, florals or shirting fabrics. I'm fond of a one colour and background Bow Tie block, but it's fun to play with different combinations.

Here's a few examples to help you plan your blocks:


By adding the extra sew and flip corners you can give the knot extra visual interest and inject a little more colour. I'll cover all this information in next week's step by step tutorial, but for now grab some pencils, download the free colouring sheets and start planning your own blocks.


There's a colouring sheet for both styles of Bow Tie blocks so you can decide which ones you'd like to sew next week using my tutorial.

Antique Inspiration:




How gorgeous are these quilts? There are some beautiful examples in this group and it's difficult to pick a favorite, or though I do love the scrappy one in the top right hand corner.

Antique quilts provide a wealth of inspiration for our modern day quilts, and they perfectly illustrate how a simple layout can be so effective. The blocks can be set in various ways and I'll give you a few options in Week 3 of this series to get you started.

Whether you sew a quilt full of Bow Tie blocks or alternate them with solid squares, you're going to create a stunning quilt using this Classic Quilt Block.  These one's have been used and loved for years and yours will be as well.



So, here's what to expect in the coming weeks of my Bow Tie Classic Quilt Blocks series:

  • Week Two: A step by step tutorial to help you sew your own Bow Tie blocks, and a chart of cutting requirements for six block sizes.
  • Week Three: You've sewn a stack of Bow Tie blocks, now what? I'll be sharing my favorite layout options to help you plan your next quilt.
  • Week Four: Some modern twists on this Classic Quilt Block that you're sure to love, plus I'll show you what I'm working on - it's a scrappy, happy Bow Tie quilt.

And that's it for my introduction to the Bow Tie block. If you haven't sewn one of these blocks before then you're in for a real treat next week - they're super fun and quite addictive. 


Happy quilting :)
email signature

4 comments

  1. So pretty. I love the bow tie block. Your green sample is very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun block Anorina. I'm working on a scrappy Bow Tie quilt at the moment, and it's looking so good. I love these fabrics for samples, they're so bright and cheerful :)

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying this series; so glad you are picking it up again!
    Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Kathleen. I've missed them too. Hope you enjoy this months block :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊