{Classic Quilt Blocks} Nine Patch - Meet Gloria!

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and use them in our quilting projects!


It's the final week of my Nine Patch Classic Quilt Blocks series and I wanted to do something fun to end the month! I know I said that the Nine Patch in its most basic form was my favorite way to use this block, but I also love the Glorified Nine Patch Block.

You may have seen this block before with lots of different curved settings and thought it hard to achieve, but I'm going to show you the cheats way. Meet Gloria!


Isn't she a cutie? Glorified Nine Patches are usually constructed from cut curves which can be quite daunting for some quilters, so they never give it a try. The Gloria quilt block incorporates quick and easy applique, making it less stressful and an achievable block for everyone.

It's such a fun way to give a simple Nine Patch an elegant makeover and allow the block to dance and float within the background.


The block is traditionally pieced but it's not the traditional Nine Patch block we have looked at this month - you need a slightly different block to create those extra points! The curves are added once the block is constructed, and you can applique them on in a couple of ways - I decided to machine applique because it was faster, and I really enjoy this method.

You might prefer to hand stitch the curves down using a blanket stitch or use the freezer paper method and slip stitch them into position. The applique template included in the pattern does include a seam allowance and tips on how to use it depending on which method you choose.


I've patterned this as a 10" (finished) block and my thought was you could either use it to make a lovely mini quilt as I did or make multiples of the block to create your own larger quilt. Of course, you could use it in a variety of other ways as well and I thought that the 10" block was a good size to play with.

I used Sussex linen for the applique, and it adds another texture to the block, but you can chose any background you want. I would suggest using a dark background fabric though, to hide the fabrics under the applique.


The Gloria PDF pattern includes everything you'll need to sew your own mini quilt or blocks. There's full step by step instructions, a full sized applique template, applique tips and tricks and a colouring sheet to help you plan before you commit to sewing.

If you would like to create your own Gloria block/mini quilt, PDF patterns are now available in my Etsy shop for the small price of $1.99 (AU) + taxes where applicable. To purchase your copy simply click the link below:


I hope you've enjoyed this month's Classic Quilt Block series. I've loved sharing the humble Nine Patch block with you, and I hope I've made you fall in love with it all over again.

I have another block ready for you next month and the only hint I'll give you is that it's a star block. I hope you join me in celebrating this block as well.

Have fun sewing the Gloria block and send me some photos - I love seeing what you make!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊