{Classic Quilt Blocks} Spool - Quilty Inspiration

Classic Quilt blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


It's the final week of my Spool Classic Quilt Blocks series, and to end the month long celebration I thought I'd share some of my favorite Spool quilts to inspire you.

There are so many pretty Spool quilts out there and it was difficult to narrow it down to just a few. I think these examples show how this simple block has been adapted and used in todays modern quilting world. Spools come in every shape and size and these quilts celebrate their individuality, and I'm sure you'll recognise a few of them from your own collection.

Let's jump right in and give these gorgeous quilts a bit of love:



Edtya from Laundry Basket Quilts makes the most stunning quilts, and this Spool quilt is in her book Friendship Strips and Scraps. Isn't it gorgeous?

The spools are strips of fabric and they're just so pretty. There's a real vintage feel to this quilt which I love, and the applique border frames it perfectly. This would make a gorgeous wall quilt for the sewing room don't you think?

Edtya also has a quick tutorial for another Spool Block on her blog HERE. Go check it out!



This Sew Colorful Spools quilt from Coriander Quilts is to die for. I love all the feature blocks and it's such a bright and fun quilt - that colour palette is gorgeous! I think every sewer/quilter would love one of these quilts and it might be a fun project to do with your quilting buddies. You could make and swap blocks to create memorable quilts.

There's 36 blocks in this quilt and the pattern is available at the Fat Quarter Shop HERE.



Camille's Mini Spools quilt is another of my absolute favorites. It's super sweet and perfect for the sewing room. She has used strips as well for the thread, so it's a great scrap busting project or the perfect way to showcase a whole fabric line.

You can purchase a copy of Camille's pattern HERE.



Aurofil lovers will love this Spooling Around Quilt - isn't it adorable? Such a fun way to celebrate our modern thread spool. I love how they've used the small spools as sashings, so clever! A great way to showcase the threads we love and use everyday.

There's a free tutorial with photos for this quilt and you can find all the details HERE.



I love, love, love this scrappy Liberty Vintage Cotton Reel quilt from Tied with a Ribbon. How fun is that? This is a mini quilt pattern and a wonderful way to display your much loved Liberty prints, or any prints for that matter.

This pattern is charm pack friendly and you can purchase a copy of the PDF pattern HERE.



The Charming Spools quilt from Dotty EB is gorgeous and this has a real courthouse step feel to it. I love the uniform design and the scrappy patches and I think you'll agree this is one charming quilt all right - perfect for those looking for a more traditional look.

You can purchase a copy of the PDF pattern HERE.



This Spooling' Around quilt from Inownes looks like fun. It's playful and cute and there's a great mix of spools in this design. I love all the different shapes and sizes, and it's another great pattern for a scrappy quilt.

You can purchase a copy of the pattern HERE.



The Essential quilt pattern from Sandy Gervais is another gorgeous mini quilt pattern, and I love the addition of the pincushions and pins. This would look great in any sewing space, and it's another charm pack friendly pattern.

You can purchase a copy of the pattern HERE.



I saved my favorite for last! The Threadology quilt from the Fat Quarter Shop was their charity quilt along for 2019 and this is such a stunning quilt. I love the pieced blocks and it's such a fun and inspiring quilt. And how amazing are those thread holders? Love!

Did you sew along last year? If not you can find all the free pattern HERE.

So there's a little quilty inspiration to encourage you to sew some Spool quilts. You can choose traditional blocks like we sewed in the tutorials, or try something more modern and creative like these stunning quilts.


And that's it for this months Spool Classic Quilt Blocks series. I hope you've enjoyed looking at this block a little closer. It's such a fun block and the perfect way to pay homage to this invaluable notion.

I have another gorgeous little block ready for you next month. It's simple and sweet with a rich history and it's full of possibilities . The first post goes live on Friday May 8th, so stay tuned!


Happy quilting :)

email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊