{Classic Quilt Blocks} Birds In The Air - Final Week Of The Sew Along and My Finished Quilt

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


It's the final week of my Birds In The Air Classic Quilt Blocks series - I'm sad to see this one come to an end! I think this has been my favorite block so far! Have you enjoyed this block too? The scrappy sew along has been a wonderful way to celebrate this cutie, and I've enjoyed working on the quilt and putting the pattern together for you.

In this week's instalment I have the final instructions for constructing your quilt and the additional finishing requirements, plus I drafted some diagrams for optional borders to inspire you - kinda wishing I added a border to mine now, but that's OK. Maybe I can always sew another one ;)

My quilt is finished, so let's have a look at my Scrappy Birds In The Air Quilt:


Isn't it stunning? Such a fun quilt to sew and I adore it's scrappiness - some of those fabrics may never have seen the light of day without this quilt. Adding the light grey background was a good choice. It defines the star centres making your eyes roam around those gorgeous navy star points.

It's bright, it's scrappy, it's striking and it's my new favorite quilt!


Even though I didn't add borders to mine, there's a couple of options in the PDF file I simply love. They will give you a few ideas, but there are many more options, or you can choose to not add them at all. The border options are diagram only and are purely for inspiration purposes.

My quilt finishes at 72" square so it's a generous sized throw quilt to snuggle under during these cold winter days. This will be my new reading quilt for the next few months, or at least until I sew another new favorite quilt. :)


I quilted mine with serpentine quilting, and I used a solid navy fabric for the bindings. I auditioned quite a few binding fabrics, but I couldn't find anything that I loved. The whole point of the quilt was to use from our stash, so instead of shopping for something different I went with a solid.

It frames the quilt perfectly and it accentuates those gorgeous navy star points - sometimes it's better to go with simple than try and make something work.


I had just enough of this gorgeous floral fabric to use as backing and this print is so pretty. I picked it up at a Spotlight sale, and I need to get back there and see if they have any more - I want to back all my quilts in this print. Isn't it pretty?

Don't forget you can always make a scrappy backing using leftover fabrics from the quilt top or maybe from some fabrics in your stash you've fallen out of love with!

The only thing left to do is make a special label for my quilt and it's finished!

Thank you so much for sewing along and sharing in this quilts journey, and for sharing your quilts progress with me! It's been fun and I've enjoyed watching your quilts grow.  Maybe I'll do another sew along later in the year, celebrating a different block. Would you be interested?

For now, all you need to do is simply download Week 3 of the Scrappy Birds In The Air Sew Along to finish your quilt:


I'd love to do a post including everyone's quilts, so make sure you send me a photo and I'll share them on here at the end of June/early July - give you time to finish and photograph them.

I have another Classic Quilt Block coming next month, and this block is pretty on its own, versatile in quilt design and super easy to sew. The first post goes live on Friday June 5, so make sure you keep an eye out - it's going to be fun month of celebrating another wonderful Classic Quilt Block!

Have fun finishing your quilt and thanks again for supporting my sew along. You guys are the best!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊