Sara Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

Mini quilts may be small in size, but they're super fun to sew! They're a fast finish with less commitment, and every month I add a new design to my pattern family to tempt you!


It's time for a new mini quilt pattern, and this month I have the gorgeous Sara! Isn't she adorable? She's such a friendly little quilt and she makes me smile every time I see her. I love her bright, bold colour palette and her simple yet stunning design - seriously, what's not to love about Sara?

The two-tone centre star is the real show stopper in this quilt, and I love how it jumps from the quilt and demands your attention. It's such a fun design and very easy to sew!


Sara finishes at around 14" square and she's a fully paper pieced mini quilt pattern.  She's a great beginner project because the sections are quite large, and there's nothing tricky or fiddly to piece. She's quick to sew as well - you can seriously sew the quilt top in a few hours!

My only advice is take your time with those intersecting seams in the centre. I was in a hurry and didn't flatten my seams enough, so on the final press I used steam and it removed colour from the navy fabric. It is difficult to deal with all that bulk, but read this Piecing Trick To Reduce Bulk article from APQS for some tips to make it easier. 


I used a scrappy mix of Bonnie and Camille fabrics, some navy fabric I've had forever and some Essex linen. I love the texture and the warmth of the linen, but it does stretch a bit so keep that in mind as your working with it. 

It was gloomy and dark the day I was sewing this quilt, so a bright, bold colour palette was just what I needed.  Sara would look gorgeous in any combination, so get creative and play with colour and fabrics - I have plans for a pretty pink and aqua version as well!


As I mentioned before, it is suitable for beginner's, but it's fun for every quilting level. The PDF pattern includes full step by step instructions and diagrams to make sewing Sara quick and easy, plus full-sized templates to print and use.  There's also a colouring sheet included, so you can play with different combinations prior to committing to sew.

There's also optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers, so you can display your quilt on your mini wall. You can also make multiples of this pattern and sew a full-sized quilt - how amazing would that look?


I also included swatches of the fabrics I used for my Sara mini quilt. The navy fabrics came from my stash so I substituted it with a similar Bonnie and Camille fabric in the pattern, to help you find something that works - I had originally planned to use that fabric, but I didn't have enough.

I quilted Sara with some simple serpentine quilting, and I use a lovely shiny embroidery thread to add some extra sparkle to the mini quilt. I chose the navy binding to frame the quilt, and it accentuates that centre star, and pulls everything together. 


Sara is a gorgeous mini quilt and I know you're going to have lots of fun sewing your own version. PDF patterns are now available in my Etsy shop, and from today until the end of August 2020 they will be available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) + taxes where applicable.

To grab your copy simply click on the link below:


I hope you enjoy sewing Sara. She's added a little cheer and a burst of colour to my sewing room, and she's a wonderful addition to my pattern family. 

Make sure you tag me or send me a photo of your finished Sara mini quilt. I love seeing what you make with my patterns, and if I choose you as my Readers Project in my monthly newsletter, you'll win an advanced copy of next month's mini quilt pattern. Enjoy!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊