{Classic Quilt Blocks} Economy Block - Modern Twists

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Welcome to the final week of my Economy block Classic Quilt Blocks series. It's been a fun month learning more about this block. We've looked at it's history and design, we're been inspired by some stunning quilts and we've sewn a block in my step by step tutorial, so now it's time to have some fun.

To end the month, I thought we'd look at some modern twists. These simple tweaks create some clever quilt designs and combined with some of the other Classic Quilt Blocks, you can sew some fun new blocks.


Aren't they fun? They're a great way to add a modern touch to your projects, and they're foundation paper pieced so they're quick and easy to sew. Each block is pieced as one section, so there's no joining to worry about, making them perfect for all quilting levels.

I've drafted the three blocks as 6" (finished) blocks, and they're a free pattern, so you can play to your hearts content. 

Let's take a quick look at each of them individually:


Of all three blocks, Block One would have to be my favorite. The Economy block is floating inside those extra rounds, and the centre square is now a diamond. It's a subtle twist but isn't it a pretty block?

You could inject a whole lot of colour into this block, and it would be great for scrappy projects.


Block Two is similar but there's only a slight twist, making the centre square appear to be dancing in the design. 

Both blocks are pretty, so it comes down to personal preference or what effect you're wanting to create.


Block Three has a more defined twist and how fun is that? This has more of a log cabin feel, but I included it anyway because you can use it exactly as you would the Economy block - we've looked at log cabins before, so I thought you'd indulge me!

It would pair perfectly with some star blocks with wonky points to give your project a modern look.


You can use these block patterns however you wish, but how great do they look combined with the Sawtooth Star block? I love all of these! A simple tweak can create a wonderful new look.

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun deciding how to use these block patterns in your projects and in your block design.

If you would like to try these three Modern Twist Economy Blocks, then simply click the link below to download the free PDF pattern.


And that's it for this month's Classic Quilt Blocks. I hope you've enjoyed what I've shared, and I hope I've encouraged you to use this block in your quilting projects.

I'm taking a little break from this series until 2021, so we can work on Halloween and Christmas projects together. There's still lots of blocks I want to share with you, so we'll begin again next year and celebrate some more wonderful Classic Quilt Blocks!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

6 comments

  1. Thank you for your wonderful blocks! I especially love the paper piecing. Hope your Fall is wonderful and full of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Diane. They're fun to sew and you'll be able to create some wonderful blocks :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! This is a great way to end the month. I prefer the first one I think but I love how the squares are just dancing away! Paper piecing is a technique I really enjoy. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one is definitely my favorite Patti. They're so whimsical and I love how they dance. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊