Scrappy Postage Stamp Quilt - Long-term Project For 2023 (Part One)

I was inspired to start a Scrappy Postage Stamp Quilt after seeing Amber's from Gigi's Thimble. This is my long-term project for 2023 and throughout the year I'll update my progress.


Good morning lovely!

Earlier in the week I shared my thoughts on slowing down and creating with intention, and I encouraged you to start a long-term project for 2023 - today I'm sharing mine.

I've mentioned a few times how inspired I felt when I saw photos of Amber's (Gigi's Thimble) Postage Stamp Quilt, so I took the plunge and decided this was the year to sew one of my own.

Throughout the year I'll update you with my progress, but this project has no time limit or pressure and it's a way for me to reconnect with the slow and steady rhythm of our craft. 

I have no expectations that I'll complete this quilt in 2023 and I plan to work on it whenever I feel the urge to simply sew!


I decided to make my Scrappy Postage Stamp Quilt an ode to all the Bonnie and Camille fabrics I've used throughout my quilting journey. I have two scrap bins filled with leftover charm squares, odd small scraps and pieces under 6" square.

I'd like to give these scraps a home first and then I'll add some of my larger cuts when I have them on my cutting table sewing other projects.

The goal is to incorporate all of the Bonnie and Camille fabrics I have and to clear out those scrap bins - anything smaller than a 1 1/2" square will probably end up as stuffing.


I've chosen 9" (finished) blocks for my Scrappy Postage Stamp Quilt and each square will finish at 1" - that's 81 squares per block.

My original plan was to use the B&C low volumes as the background, but I don't think I have enough, so I went with a plain white fabric which defines the squares and makes them pop! 

I leave my scrap bins on the cutting table and whenever I get five minutes, I cut out some squares. I am cutting and piecing individual squares as this is meant to be a slow project and I'm not looking for quick and easy shortcuts. 

I have a freshly printed Quilt Journal to record the story of this quilt and I hope it's useful to future generations when they look at my collection of quilts.


This quilt will help me grow as a quilter and I'm looking to improve on two things - being scrappy and not using any pins, at all!

I'm terrible at being scrappy. I'm more of a deliberate scrappy quilter, placing fabrics strategically so there's no repeats or the same colours to close together. I'm hoping this quilt will encourage me to trust my instincts and create scrappy blocks that just work together without too much thinking.

The other skill I want to perfect is finger holding the seams and not using pins. If your squares are cut accurately and you maintain consistent seams, this shouldn't be an issue, but it feels unnatural to me - I need pins ;) 

I've made the commitment to put the pins out of sight and my skills will improve with this quilt!


My plan is to make 81 blocks for this Scrappy Postage Stamp Quilt and currently my tally is at 3! I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the slow process and the blocks are looking so pretty.

Here are a few tips to keep you motivated with a long-term project:

  • Keep your project on your workspace so you can cut or sew whenever you want.
  • Pack it in your project bag when going to sewing days or craft weekends.
  • Keep a bag of cut pieces close to your sewing machine ready to sew together.
  • If it's a hand project, keep it next to your chair so it's easily accessible.
  • Hang completed blocks in your sewing space to inspire you to create more.
  • Keep a photo of your inspiration on your vision board to encourage you.
  • Be kind to yourself - progress is progress and long-term projects aren't meant to be rushed.

I hope I've inspired you to start a long-term project for 2023. I'd love to know what you're working on or plan to work on, so leave me a comment.

I looked at Amber's quilt so many times and thought I didn't have time to try one of my own but in small moments throughout my day I've been able to plan and sew three gorgeous blocks. 

This quilt will come together slowly and it's going to be a beautiful record of all the Bonnie and Camille fabrics I have in my stash.

You can do it too!

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)



6 comments

  1. I hope you will enjoy your long term postage stamp quilt. I have been periodically working on mine for almost three years. As of today I have 18 blocks completed. I'm not using any specific collection, just bits and pieces left from projects of the past. My background is made of pieces of left over bits as well. whites,, creams, and light beiges. It's seems that most things work for this project. No rush for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats lovely Lynn. I love that you're taking it slow and enjoying the process. I have added a little more to mine but I'm in no rush! It's just nice to sew a few squares together when I feel like sewing. Take care Rose :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your slow moving blocks, so far they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love postage stamp quilts. Here is a link to mine, also using 1-1/2" squares, that I made during Covid: https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2021/04/29/the-covid-quilt-finished/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deanna, it's stunning! Such a labor of love! Thank you so much for sharing yours. I hope my readers pop over and take a look as well :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊