Orange Marmalade

Orange Marmalade was my father in laws favorite and Sunday is his heavenly 100th birthday, so I'm sharing the recipe I made for him over and over again!


My father-in-law was an extraordinary man with very basic needs. Give him family, his dog, time in the bush, food in his cupboard and a comfortable place to lay his head at night and he was content. He was a meat and three vegetable kinda man, but his absolute favorite was bread and jam.

Sunday will be his heavenly 100th birthday, so I'm sharing a recipe I made for him countless times, Orange Marmalade.


When I first started making my own jams, my father-in-law gave me his jam pot and accessories, and he'd arrive on my doorstep with buckets of fruit for me to turn into his favorite jams. I was watching an afternoon cooking show and the host made Orange Marmalade, so I made some and it became dad's absolute favorite.

The difference between store brought and homemade marmalade is the intense flavor. Store brought marmalade is sweet with a little bit of tang, whereas homemade marmalade bursts with the perfect balance of sweet and sour flavor. 

I think I made a gazillion jars of Orange Marmalade over the years, but I stopped after dad passed fifteen years ago. To make it again and be able to share it with you just before his heavenly birthday, feels very special. 

So, let's make marmalade:


What you need:

This recipe is super easy, and all you need is a large pot, oranges, lemons, cold water, sugar, a wooden spoon, a saucer and some sterilized jars for storage.

There's no need to check temperatures and you don't need any fancy equipment or setting agents - it's easy and virtually fail proof!

Cutting the fruit:

How you cut the fruit is personal preference. 

Dad liked to see the peel in his marmalade, so I slice the oranges and lemons thinly but without chef precision. You can dice the peel into smaller pieces, cut it slither thin or leave it rustically chunky as I do. It doesn't affect the final result, but it may lessen or lengthen the cooking time.

As with every recipe, monitor what you're working with and adjust times accordingly.

Soaking the fruit and using the pips:

Soaking the fruit (and the removed pips tied in muslin cloth) overnight releases the fruits natural pectin which helps to thicken and preserve the marmalade.

I prepare the fruit the afternoon before and soak it until I start cooking early the next morning - it's a delicious scent that freshens the house and a wonderful way to start your day!



Making Marmalade:

Allow at least 2 1/2 hours to make your marmalade and during this time you can also sterilize your jars, make labels and enjoy the heavenly scents as it bubbles away.

It pretty much does all the work itself but keep monitoring the pot throughout the cooking process, especially after adding the sugar.


Testing the setting point:

Before you add the sugar to the fruit pulp, place a saucer in the freezer. Once the marmalade has hard boiled for fifteen minutes (with the sugar), place a teaspoon of the marmalade on the saucer and return it to the freezer for one minute.

To test the setting point, run your finger through the cooled marmalade and if it wrinkles and stays in two separate halves then it is ready. If not, continue cooking until it reaches this point.


Storing your Marmalade:

Homemade jams and marmalades have a long shelf life due to the sugar and pectin which acts as a preservative. I prefer to use smaller jars because let's be honest, they look pretty but they're also a great size for gifts, plus you don't have to rush and eat it all once the jar is opened.

Store your marmalade in a cool dark place for up to a year and when a jar is opened it is best kept in the fridge to avoid bacteria. Use opened jars within two months.

How to use Marmalade:

Now comes the fun part - eating the marmalade - and just like jam it has endless uses! Here's a few ideas:

  • Spread it on crusty bread, toast, pancakes and crepes. 
  • Add it to your oatmeal or morning cereal.
  • Flavor yoghurt or ice cream.
  • Add it to muffin, brownie or cupcake batters.
  • Stuff chicken breasts or pork loins.
  • Use it as a base for a galette.
  • Spread it on a wheel of brie, cover with pastry and bake.
  • Make a marmalade sandwich and dip it in eggs and milk for French Toast.
  • Serve it alongside cheese on a platter.
  • Fill cakes and biscuits with cream and marmalade.
  • Make a glaze for meats.
  • Add it to salad dressings.


If you would like to make your own Orange Marmalade, then simply click the link for the recipe card or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer.



This Sunday, on his heavenly birthday, I'm going to enjoy some Orange Marmalade on sourdough and give thanks for the time I spent with this amazing man. I wish he was here to enjoy some with me!

Happy birthday dad! 

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy baking :)

4 comments

  1. Oh yummm. I love homemade marmalade. Mum used to make marmalade every year growing up. Sure do miss it. Enjoy your Sunday treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some on my crumpets this morning Jeanette! Instant flashback to my childhood :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE marmalade but have never made it before. I look forward to trying this recipe. I'd like to try making Lime marmalade as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find this an easy recipe. I love it because it's very low fuss and so delicious. Lime Marmalade would be scrumptious as well. :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊