Bird House Quilt Block PDF Pattern - Four Block Sizes

Whimsical quilt blocks are playful and fun, and perfect for seasonal or children's quilts. I'm adding a new section to my Etsy shop and the Bird House Block is my first design!


Morning lovely!

I'm adding a new section to my Etsy shop to include a range of whimsical and fun quilt blocks that are perfect for seasonal or children's quilts or for those times you feel like sewing a playful block.

I thought I'd start with something simple but fun, so the first block is the Bird House Quilt Block, and my hope is to build a collection of blocks that add a story to your quilts. 

My wish list of blocks to design is long and inspired by nature, celebrations, seasons, fairy tales and the fantasy world, just to name a few, and I'll release a new one from time to time - no set time frame!


In our garden, we provide generously for our feathered friends with feeders, baths and bird houses. While bird houses are aesthetically pleasing, they also serve an important purpose. They offer a safe place for birds to nest while protecting them from the elements and the neighbourhood cats.

Not every bird is a nest builder, so providing them with a bird house stops them from building nests in any cavity they can find - like under the eaves of the house!

Birds are little helpers in the garden and assist with pest control, seed spreading and pollination and it's an absolute delight to listen to their chatter and watch their antics. 

I've found that if I leave a pot of strawberries uncovered for the birds, they leave the rest of the garden alone - except for one determined blackbird who searches for every seed I plant.


The Bird House Quilt Block is constructed using the foundation paper piecing method and there's nothing particularly tricky about this one - you can sew a block in under an hour!

I do suggest using a smaller stitch for the pieces around the hole of the bird house - these are small and fiddly, and a smaller stitch will help hold them in place.

Knowledge of foundation paper piecing is essential and if you need a little help, you can follow any of my tutorials here:



I'm only an email away if you need some extra help with foundation paper piecing, so contact me if you have any questions or concerns.


The Bird House Quilt Block PDF Pattern includes step by step assembly instructions and full-sized templates for four block sizes - 6", 8", 10" & 12" - so you can print and sew without any fuss.

There's also a colouring sheet to help you plan your fabrics/colours prior to piecing your mini quilt.

I've also included any tips I feel are useful for constructing the block, and I've calculated the fabric requirements for the largest block size so you can choose your fabrics with piece of mind.


Blocks like these remind me let go, have fun and play in the sewing room! I hope you enjoy sewing the Bird House Block and that it adds something whimsical and charming to your quilt.

If you would like to purchase a copy of the Bird House Block PDF Pattern, they are now available in my Etsy shop at the small price of $2.99 (AU + taxes where applicable). Simply click the link below to grab your copy:


The Bird House Block was so fun to create and I'm eager to add some more playful and fun blocks to my Etsy shop. 

If you have any suggestions for me, just let me know. I'm happy to give anything a try and create a collection you'll love and use in all your quilting projects!

Enjoy!

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)


No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊