Crochet Mug Cuff - Free Pattern

If you love granny squares, you're going to love the Crochet Mug Cuff - Free Pattern. This super easy pattern has loops to secure the cuff and is super easy and very clever!


I was late night scrolling on Instagram and saw a quick reel for a Crochet Mug Cuff using some basic granny squares. 

Unfortunately, I didn't save the original post so I can't link where the inspiration came from, but I couldn't get this idea out of my mind and decided to pick up the hook and see if I could crochet something similar.

Granny squares are so quick and easy to crochet, and I finished this gorgeous Crochet Mug Cuff in one evening while I was watching television.


What I loved about this idea was the crochet loops at either end that slip over the mug handles and attach the mug cuff firmly in place. It was a simple, yet extremely clever idea!

It took a little finessing to chain the correct number of stitches to fit my mug handle, but it was easier than the loop and button method and more effective than securing the cuff with ribbon.

I thought I'd share my process with you as a free pattern, but you may have to make your own modifications depending on your mug. I'll include any tips I think might simplify the process for you.

So, let's make a Crochet Mug Cuff:



Firstly, I measured the circumference of my mug and determined that three 3" Granny Squares would fit snuggly around the mug. I choose a 5ply cotton yarn and a 3.25mm hook and crocheted the granny squares with three colours and three rounds.

If your familiar with your yarn and hooks, you should be able to determine what will work best for your yarn to achieve the granny square size you require. For example, if you choose a thinner yarn, you may need to work an extra round to reach the required size. For thicker yarns, perhaps go down a hook size.

To make a basic granny square with three colours:

Stitches - US terms

  • Magic Circle
  • SS - Slip Stitch
  • CH - Chain stitch
  • DC - Double crochet

Round 1: Make a magic circle. CH3, and into the magic circle 2DC, CH3, (3DC, CH3) three times. SS to the top of the first CH3 to join. Cut yarn and tie off.

Round 2: Add your next yarn colour in one CH3 space, CH3, 2DC, CH3, 3DC, CH1 *(3DC, CH3, 3DC) in the next CH3 space, CH1. Repeat from * twice more. SS into the top of the first CH3 to join. Cut yarn and tie off.

Round 3: Add your next yarn colour in one CH3 space, CH3, 2DC, CH3, 3DC, CH1, *3DC in the CH1 space, CH1, (3DC, CH3, 3DC, 1CH in the 3CH space). Repeat from * twice more. SS into the top of the first CH3 to join. Cut yarn and tie off. Weave in ends.


There are several ways to join your squares together and Craft Passion has a post on 12 Ways To Join Granny Squares which will help you decide what works best for you.

Personally, I like the Flat Slip Stitch method and you can find a photo tutorial on Attic 24 to guide you through the process. 

Once your three granny squares are joined together, it's time to add a border and the loops to your Crochet Mug Cuff.


Crocheting the Border:

Round 1: Join yarn in any CH3 corner, CH1, SC, CH2, SC. SC in each space along the mug cuff. I added a HDC (half double crochet) in the space where the granny squares joined to keep things even. When you reach another CH3 corner, SC, CH2, SC. Join to the top of first CH1 ready to add the first handle loop.


Crocheting the Handle Loops:

First Loop: Work a chain loop until you reach the required size for your mug handle. I required 24 chain stitches for the loop to comfortably slide over the handle and keep the mug cuff secure. Don't forget you yarn may stretch with use, so make it a snug fit. To secure the loop, SS into the CH2 space of the border on the opposite short side. Cut yarn and tie off.

Second Loop: Join your yarn in one CH2 space on the opposite short side of the mug cuff and chain the same number of stitches as the first loop to form the second loop. To secure the loop, SS into the CH2 space of the border on the opposite short side. Cut yarn and tie off. Weave in the ends.


Slip the loops over the handle of the mug and your Crochet Mug Cuff is complete.

This was a very quick project to crochet and how cosy and inviting does it look on the mug? I love it and the loops keep it snug and secure without any fuss.

Everyone I know is going to receive a Crochet Mug Cuff. I can't wait to play with different colour combinations and turn some of my scrap yarn into a thoughtful gift. 

These would be perfect for stocking stuffers, craft fairs, school fetes, your own handmade Etsy shop or to give your own mug a pretty facelift. 

Let me know if you crochet one for yourself and a big thank you to the person who posted this idea on Instagram. You inspired me to get creative and make something beautiful.


Three-inch granny squares are super cute and extremely addictive, and in the above photo I crocheted a few more and added a simple SC border. They make perfect little coasters, and they're a pretty place to sit my mug on my desk and cutting table.

You could make a Crochet Mug Cuff and a matching coaster for a complete set. So fun!

Grab your yarns and hook lovely and have some fun with some simple granny squares! 

Enjoy!

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy crocheting :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊